- Jack Handy, Deep Thoughts
This is a quick interim release that fixes a bug found in the Overlay editing section. It's fixed.
Alpha Build Nine has been released into the wild. This is the last alpha build - the next build of Bloo will be a beta release candidate. Woot!
You can download the new release here at the Bloo Sourceforge Project Page. Here's what build 9 brings ya:
- Created the BloogrollPosts SnapOn. This is a nifty little addition that allows you to view posts written by people in your bloogroll from within your blog. It's somewhat similar to the LJ "friends posts" feature, except this works for any blog, not just other Bloo blogs. And you don't really have to be friends with the people :-) - it gets its content off of their published RSS feeds
- Fixed the BlooPostSpellChecker SnapOn. It quit working when Google switched it to use https
- Created a comments spell checker SnapOn
- Refactored the tabbed menu items, provided better inheritance
- Made the overlay editing window bigger
- Created the Scripturizer SnapOn, which converts any Bible reference in your posts to a link to the ESV Bible
- Created, against my better judgement, a Smilies SnapOn, useful for inserting cute little smilies in posts and comments.
- SnapOns are now categorized and are organized in the SnapOn maintenance section in different tabs, one per category
- Set overflow styles in the base CSS so that sidebars and content will stay put if some content gets too wide
- Cleaned up the RSS feed coming from Bloo and added more fields to it
- Did some cleanup and code refactoring to allow for running simple queries without having to call the SnapOnFactory
- Did some small overlay work on the BlooQuote overlay so that it now uses the additive feature
- Rearranged the Themes and Overlay tabs in the Look and Feel section
- Added "Save and Continue Editing" in the overlay editing section (because it's a pain to have to keep switching back and forth)
- Refactored and simplified (a bit) Overlay editing
- Reworked the XML2Array parser so that it reads RSS feeds correctly
Currently I'm in design on the thousand and one ideas I have for Bloo. In particular, hopefully the next release will include the BlooSnapOnServer, which will serve out SnapOns thus eliminating the need to make them part of official releases. This will be a SnapOn itself, so any Bloo blog can become a SnapOn server.
We may also see some of the faint beginnings of BlooM (Bloo Messaging), BlooAlliance, and BlooCommunity. But if I get to any of those in release candidate one it will be a miracle.
Watch me for the changes . . .
I'll put out more detailed release notes soon. But build 9 is done and deployed!
I'm upgrading the local alpha test blogs as we speak. . .
Just discovered a fairly important bug. . . So I'm going to back the release off and re-submit it tomorrow night after the fix . .
I'm a dope . . .
Update 2 - Fixed (last night)!
Work on Bloo alpha build 9 is progressing well! Almost there . . .
Tonight I added a spell checker for comments. It's a new snapon called the BlooCommentSpellChecker (based heavily on the BlooPostSpellChecker) - took about ten minutes to write :-)
And it works. Which is always good :-)
For those of you using the BlooPostSpellChecker which isn't working, the reason is that Google switched to https processing of its spell checker last month. Build nine will fix all that.
While not released to the general public, I've completed the BloogrollPosts SnapOn, which allows you to aggregate and view the blogs in your bloogroll.
This is currently working on Out of the Bloo, which I've upgraded to Build 9 - for testing prior to final tweaks and release. Check it out by clicking here.