"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."
- Jack Handy, Deep Thoughts
Sunday, February 18, 2007
Bloo Beta 2 has been released! You can download it here.
Here are the highlights:
- Refactored the loading of SnapOns, and unified their format. Now everything in Bloo follows a common SnapOn format, whether for core SnapOns, extension SnapOns, or theme SnapOns.
- Optimized the loading of SnapOns so that the system only loads the resources it needs, rather than loading everything
- Implemented the CTCode extension SnapOn. This is a spam checker that is quite effective against both trackback and comment spam, and that doesn't require the commenter to answer questions, type kaptchas, etc.
- Improved the administrative interface
- Created the Bloo Wiki SnapOn, which gives a blog certain Wiki-ish features (such as allowing the author to enclose post titles in [[ ]] brackets, which converts the entry into a link to that post title. Note: this SnapOn is not part of the core release. It will be deployed eventually on the main bloo documentation site (http://outofthebloo.com) soon.
- Created the ThemeDownload SnapOn, which allows the administrator to place Theme Download links on the blog which will contain the zipped code for the current theme. Note: this SnapOn is not part of the core release. It will be deployed eventually on the main bloo documentation site (http://outofthebloo.com) soon.
- Created "pend" type overlays, which will autmatically append or prepend themselves to specified overlays. Very handy for extending the Bloo interface.
- Improved the Comments interface
- Added Theme Screenshots to the administrative interface for Themes
- Improved the Theme administration panel
- Implemented Session messages, to provide a common facility for displaying information and warnings.
- Cleaned up and upgraded the Quicktags buttons, and added Quicktags to the comments form (optional)
- Added extension SnapOns that protect the user from losing unsaved changes to posts or comments if an errant back or close button is pressed.
- Added better security checks to prevent the unauthorized loading of a SnapOn.
- Added new themes: Lush, Jill, Quentin, Monochrome.
- Now administrators can associate a blog logo image to their blog.
- Theme Credits now can appear at the bottom of the main page
- Fixed general problems with the RSS interface
- Fixed the problem with Smilies not displaying properly in edited posts and comments.
- Fixed the problem with the PopularPosts extension SnapOn that had it counting removed spam comments in the total comments count.
- And performed a lot more behind the scenes enhancements and fixes.